Cinema Mac-Mahon Film + Water Festival, Paris - In Honor of World Water Day
March 21, 2024
Hello and welcome from Linda Lilienfeld!
As a film and picture researcher for over 50 years specializing in science and history I have worked to address the critical water issues facing communities around the world.
I believe in the power of film to initiate dialogue amongst us as people, but also as a bridge between water science and water policy. Our goal has been to drive solutions and advocate for states, cities and institutions to make information on water challenges more transparent and accessible.
Our landscape has changed so dramatically in our lifetime. Where I
thought water was our biggest problem, now I also worry about rocks falling, coastal geo-hazards, subsidence, and landslides. I found myself in need of a clearer visual imaging tool to better understand the magnitude of the problems. This led me to a training course in Brittany on coastal geo hazards, remote sensing and satellite imaging. Hoping that “if we can see it, we can also solve it”.
Join me in our film program that starts with a documentary on art, science, and communication in honor of Jean Epstein, a French filmmaker from the 1920s, who focused on the beautiful coastal landscape of Brittany. Our next offering is a collection of short films from the library of ‘Let’s Talk About Water’ and ‘Mayors Make Movies’.
Throughout our journey in the Water World in countless meetings, and in the many corners of the globe, we have met remarkable individuals whom have inspired us. One person who has inspired me recently is Filipe Sampaio, Interim Director of ANA, the National Water and Basic Sanitation Agency of Brazil, and host of the first Latin American Water Forum in Aracaju, Brazil. He said: “Governments change, people change, but the challenge remains how to improve communication.”
Hope these films inspire you and that we can inspire each other.
Let’s Talk About Water!
From Frames to Action: Bridging the Gap between Water Science and Water Policy through Film and Dialogue Linda Lilienfeld, Joshua Himmelstein, David Menier, Magaly Koch, Alexandre Wimmer, Jade Sor
Our exhibition at the American Geophysical Union meeting in 2023 showcased an interactive poster. The main central panel is a short film from the Mayors Make Movies initiative. This interactive poster integrates dynamic visual elements that build and expand on the themes of the central film collection as the centerpiece. This is the beauty of an interactive poster. We invite you to engage with the various interactive elements of the iPoster: expand windows, scroll through the images and text, and even enlarge our compilation of 22 films in the top right window.
A Celebration in Honor of the UN Decade on Water
New York Water Week
Saturday, March 18, 2023 — 6:00 p.m.– 8:30 p.m.
OECD Newsletter (extract) – 18th Meeting of the OECD Water Governance Initiative
5-6 July 2023 – OECD Headquarters, Paris
- Globally, there is an urgent call for better water governance. Climate change, demographic growth and urbanisation reinforce the need for effective and inclusive water governance. The WGI will play an active role in the 10th World Water Forum in Bali, Indonesia (18-24 May 2024), especially in relation to the “Governance, cooperation and hydro diplomacy” topic. The Global Commission on the Economics of Water underlined the need for international collaboration to support water justice, sustainability, and food-energy-water security policies.
- Water is a vector for sustainable development and a connector across policies. The Cities and Regions for a Blue Economy project argues that blue economy resilience goes hand in hand with water resilience and that a systems approach is needed between ocean and freshwater resources policies to overcome challenges, such as water pollution. In Latin America, applying circular economy principles to water management also has great potential for preserving water resources and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Local policy makers need to be empowered to walk the talk. African Mayors Rohey Malick Lowe (Banjul, Gambia) and Dieudonné Bantsimba (Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo) shared their views on the implementation of the Action Plan of Mayors, Local and Regional Governments for Water Security, one of the outcomes of the OECD and the UCLG-Africa Roundtable of African Mayors for Water Security. In addition to supporting the work of the Roundtable, the WGI will co-produce a Toolkit for the local implementation of the OECD Principles on Water Governance. The Toolkit will complement the OECD Water Governance Indicator Framework (2018) and the OECD Guide on How To Assess Water Governance (2022) as part of the implementation strategy of the Principles.
- It is not just about money: transparency and accountability matter in water investments. Enhancing the integrity of water regulators and operators can have multiple benefits for water users and service providers, for instance in terms of boosting return on investment, engaging stakeholders, and increasing the level of trust of the community. However, increasing transparency alone is not a guarantee of integrity, which also requires accountability. WIN has developed several tools to improve integrity management for regulators and large and small operators at different stages of the investment cycle.
- Stockholm World Water Week—20-24 August | Stockholm, Sweden and online | SIWI
- 18th World Water Congress “Water for All: Harmony between Humans and Nature“—11-15 September | Beijing, China | IWRA
- 2023 SDG Summit—18-19 September | New York, United States | UN
- Climate Ambition Summit 2023—20 September | New York, United States | UN
- 1st Ministerial Summit on Environmental Sustainability—5 October | San Jose, Costa Rica | OECD
- 2nd stakeholder meeting of the 10th World Water Forum—12-13 October | Bali, Indonesia | WWC
- Europe-INBO International Conference 2023—16-19 October | Valencia, Spain | INBO
- Smart Cities Expo World Congress—7-9 November | Barcelona, Spain | Fira Barcelona
- 1stLatin American Water Forum—22-23 November | Aracaju, Brazil | REBOB, RELOC, ABRHidro, ABAS and ABES
- COP28—30 November – 12 December | Dubai, United Arab Emirates | UN and United Arab Emirates
- 19thWGI Meeting—5-6 March | Marrakesh, Morrocco
- UN Ocean Decade Conference—10-12 April | Barcelona, Spain | UN and Spain
- 10th World Water Forum—18-24 May | Bali, Indonesia | WWC
- UN Ocean Conference—9-13 June | Nice, France | UN, France and Costa Rica